By Oanhie “Shinsen” Pham, Editor-in-Chief
Black History Month, observed in the United States in February, celebrates the lives and achievements of African Americans and their roles in American history. The following is a short list of books about the lives of African Americans who made their mark in this country. Check them out at your local library or bookstore!
- Dark Midnight When I Rise: The Story of the Jubilee Singers, Who Introduced the World to the Music of Black America – This book tells the story of a troupe of young, former slaves and freed men who introduced the world to African American music, singing the sacred hymns of their ancestors.
- Dreams from my Father – Authored by Barack Obama, “Dreams from my Father” is a memoir that tells of a man who searches for a workable meaning to his life as an African American.
- Hand in Hand: Ten Black Men Who Changed America – “Hand in Hand: Ten Black Men Who Changed America” provides narratives of 10 men from different eras in American history, of their accomplishments, childhood influences and their legacies.
- The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks – As a New York Times bestseller, “The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks” is about a poor black tobacco farmer named Henrietta Lacks, whose cells became one of the most important tools in medicine even though she remains virtually unknown. This book discusses the collisions of ethics, race, and medicine.
- Life in Motion: An Unlikely Ballerina – Misty Copeland, a dancer who became the third African American female soloist for the American Ballet Theatre, as well as, its first in two decades wrote her memoir in this book. “Life in Motion : An Unlikely Ballerina” gives the reader a glimpse of the cutthroat world of professional ballet and Copeland’s story of adversity and grace.
- Our Auntie Rosa: The Family of Rosa Parks Remembers Her Life and Lessons – A book of memoirs was written by those who knew Rosa Parks best, her family. “Our Auntie Rosa: The Family of Rosa Parks Remembers Her Life and Lessons” contains never-before-seen photos and letters.
- Rainbow in the Cloud: The Wisdom and Spirit of Maya Angelou – A collection of advice, observations and humorous quips from the great works of Maya Angelou, an American poet, storyteller, activist and autobiographer, are combined in this book.
Featured Image: Touchstone, an imprint of Simon & Schuster