By Savitre “Rapture” Geeratisoontorn, Contributing Writer
I’ve come across a few things to make my life a little healthier, more affordable, and much easier!
1. I was looking for a coffee creamer that would not spoil, low on calories and artificial sweeteners. I was coming across some protein sources that simply stated to use dry milk powder. I found it very easily – it should be available in any other grocery store. Use a tablespoon for 3 grams of carbs and 2 grams of protein. But it lasts at least a year, mixes perfectly well into coffee, and makes it a delicious, guilt-free beverage!
2. Eggs – they’re a great source of natural protein. But who has time to make them? Boiling them is a solution, but let me offer you an alternative. Go buy yourself a mini muffin baking tin (can be found at Wal-Mart Supercenter and some Super Targets). Also buy the large 2.5 dozen egg tray as you can cook them all at once this way. Place the eggs directly into each cup of the tin and bake at 320 degrees for half an hour. If you don’t believe me, ask Alton Brown!
3. Gatorade is a great source of electrolytes and varies up the flavor of water. Since I’ve been exercising more than ever, I found myself drinking more of this beverage. But I grew tired of buying the bulky, wasteful packs of bottles and didn’t want to consume the extra sugar or artificial sweeteners. I found a recipe for homemade Gatorade on eHow – tested, tasted and approved, although I confess to adding more lemon juice than they suggested and I did not use any Kool-Aid.
- Sports bottle or glass jar with lid
- 1 pack of unsweetened Kool-Aid
- 1/2 cup orange juice or 2 tablespoons of lemon juice
- 8 tablespoons of table sugar
- 3/4 teaspoon of salt
- 2 liters of filtered water
Add all those ingredients in the bottle or pitcher and mix thoroughly, chill and enjoy!