I’ve never actually made it myself, but here is the recipe for anyone who wants to give it a try. You could also substitute the almond with other flavorings, like coffee or vanilla, to mix things up a bit.
- 2 cups water (divided into 1 cup each)
- 2 (.25 ounce) envelopes unflavored gelatin powder
- 2 cups milk
- ¾ cup sugar
- 1 ½ teaspoons almond extract
- Pour 1 cup water in a bowl. Sprinkle the gelatin over the water and stir until the gelatin is partially dissolved. Set aside.
- Bring 1 cup water to a boil in a large saucepan. Reduce heat to medium-low and slowly pour in the gelatin mixture. Add the milk, sugar and almond extract and stir until the sugar and gelatin are completely dissolved. Pour the mixture into a large, shallow container. Refrigerate until firm. It should take about 3 to 4 hours. Cut into small squares to serve.
This delicious gelatin dessert is not only a great summer treat, but it’s low in calories and fat. Even better for those with a sweet tooth who want to keep their summer beach bodies in shape.